Wednesday 23 May 2012 | By: wicca

Review Pagans And Cultural Appropriation

Review Pagans And Cultural Appropriation
I rarely pick up Pagan related reading materials, but while I was roaming around Books-A-Million trying to find something different to read during my stay at the beach, I came upon "Llewellyn's 2013 Witches' Companion." I skimmed through it and found quite a few articles that I thought might be neat, so I bought it. While I'm far from being finished reading everything I want in this collection, I have been moved by one article in particular, Lupa's "Pagans & Cultural Appropriation".

I am very familiar with Lupa and her writings. I can even go as far as to say I'm a "fan". I have nothing but respect for her, and I see her as a positive influence within the Pagan and Therian communities. So, this is not a review in the sense that I am going to tear apart her every word, nor will I argue with her points. Instead, there are aspects that I agree with, and there are points that I want to throw into the pile. This piece definitely made me think about cultural appropriation and even prejudice throughout the spiritual/religious spectrum.

The essence of Lupa's article speaks of how often we borrow bits and pieces of spiritual paths that we are not culturally connected to. Native American Shamanism was a main point, and while I wholeheartedly agree that the native people have been disrespected and cheated, I don't see this as a white versus native issue solely. Yes, I'm going to play "devil's advocate" here and step out and say that the mistreatment of indigenous people are not solely due to the "white man." There are many discussions throughout the Pagan and Occult communities that argue back and forth about whether white people in general are the root of every issue that has befallen humanity. I chuckle about it at times, and other times I feel somewhat offended. I, as a white man, am not the enemy. That isn't to say their aren't while people who do horrible things, but there are also people of every ethnic background who have done atrocious things to each other, to indigenous people, and to anyone else they felt the desire to wrong.

Before I go further, I want to note that Lupa's article did NOT focus as heavily on the point of the while man's wrongs against indigenous people, but that I am going more into detail to address it from my perspective after reading her article. What moved me to write this review and interject my own thoughts is that the argument for or against appropriation is much larger in the Pagan community than some may wish to admit. For example, within the Norse spectrum, there can be finger-pointing and name calling between the different groups (Asatru, Vanatru, Rokatru). Who's right, or who's wrong, or this book clearly states this point, and that was not stated in this important text. So even within cultures, there is also the arguments of who should practice what aspects of a path. It has been my experience that the majority of Norse practitioners are accepting of other cultures practicing their path, yet at the same time, there are also those who are really nasty when it comes to Loki and other Rokkr workings.

One point that Lupa made in "Pagans & Cultural Appropriation" is that "many non-indigenous (especially white) Americans feel that their own culture is spiritually empty"." I don't really agree with this. Americans are a hodge-podge of lots of cultures, so it doesn't surprise me that they gravitate toward different cultural spirituality. Although I am not Native American, nor do I have Native American descendants, I do feel a deep reverence for Native American culture and spiritual practice. As a Luciferian, I take from Roman culture as Lucifer is a Roman deity. As a Setian, I embrace the culture and spirit of Egypt. As a Tiamatian, I am seduced by the spiritual ways of the Sumerians and others in ancient Mesopotamia. As a child of Hecate, I am called to the beautiful spirituality of Greece. As a German American, I feel a definite connection with Nordic spirituality. So I see American's as one group of people who pull from a multitude of spiritual sources to create an eclectic experience. I do not believe anyone should be turned away from any form of spirituality that works for them based on their own culture.

In closing her article, Lupa made a great point. In essence, it is OK for us to follow those deities and cultural influences that attract and call to us, but that we should always show respect for those cultures. I agree with her that we don't want to disregard the meanings behind rites and rituals, thus I recommend becoming familiar with as much of the culture and the spiritual path as possible while incorporating practices into your own.