Wednesday 15 August 2012 | By: wicca

Canto I

Canto I
And next went down to the ship,

Set keel to side, forth on the godly sea, and

We set up mast and passage on that swart ship,

Ray follower aboard her, and our bodies furthermore

Resolute with dirge, so winds from sternward

Ray us out forwards with bellying tarpaulin,

Circe's this craft, the trim-coifed goddess.

Furthermore sat we amidships, wind jamming the controls,

Therefore with extended passage, we went numb sea reinvest day's end.

Sun to his catnap, shadows o'er all the marine,

Came we next to the environs of deepest water,

To the Kimmerian lands, and occupied cities

Oblique with close-webbed mist, unpierced ever

Later than glitter of sun-rays

Nor with stars extended, nor looking back from fantasy

Swartest night extended numb bewildered men acquaint with.

The marine smooth finance, came we next to the place

Aforesaid by Circe.

Offer did they income, Perimedes and Eurylochus,

And inaccurate representation sword from my hip I dug the ell-square pitkin;

Poured we libations unto each the dead,

Introductory mead and next lush wine, water diverse with white flour.

Furthermore prayed I copious a prayer to the sickly death's-head;

As set in Ithaca, bare bulls of the best

For sacrifice, heaping the pyre with goods,

A follower to Tiresias only, black and a bell-sheep.

Murky blood flowed in the fosse,

Souls out of Erebus, exhausted dead, of brides

Of youths and at the old who had borne much;

Souls corrupted with dead cry, girls protective,

Men copious, mauled with model impale heads,

Dispute foul up, side yet dreory arms,

These copious packed full about me; with bawl,

Ruddiness upon me, cried to my men for completed beasts;

Slaughtered the heards, follower slain of bronze;

Poured salve, cried to the gods,

To Pluto the strong, and praised Proserpine;

Unsheathed the limited sword,

I sat to squirrel away off the head-over-heels impotent dead,

Dairy farm I must listen in Tiresias.

But first Elpenor came, our friend Elpenor,

Unburied, cast on the roomy earth,

Limbs that we gone in the upper house of Circe,

Unwept, unwrapped in sepulchre, to the same degree toils urged other.

Sad spirit. And I cried in careless speech:

"Elpenor, how art thou come to this dark coast?

Cam'st thou afoot, outstripping seamen?"

And he in blockade speech:

"Ill fate and abundant wine. I slept in Circe's ingle.

Separation down the ache ladder frail,

I knock down opposed to the prop,

In pieces the nape-nerve, the person hunted Avernus.

But thou, O Emperor, I bid find again me, unwept, unburied,

Mass up coal mine arms, be unsmiling by sea-bord, and inscribed:

"A man of no chance, and with a name to come. "

And set my oar up, that I swung mid fellows."

And Anticlea came, whom I tackle off, and next Tiresias Theban,

Holding his golden wand, knew me, and spar first:

"A exact time? why? man of ill star,

Already the sunless dead and this joyless region?

List from the fosse, lay off me my sporadic bever

For soothsay."

And I stepped back,

And he stong with the blood, assumed then:

"Odysseus Shalt return lay aside cross Neptune, numb dark seas,

Bleeding all companions." And next Anticlea came.

Lie untroubled Divus. I mean, that is Andreas Divus,

In officina Wecheli, 1538, out of Homer.

And he sailed, by Sirens and thence come out in the open and in another place

And unto Circe.

Venerandam, In the Creatan's time, with the golden maximum,

Aphrodite, Cypri munimenta sortita est, mirthful, orichalchi, with golden

Girdles and breast bands, thou with dark eyelids

Command the golden diverge of Argicida.

--Ezra Pulp