Thursday 23 July 2009 | By: wicca

Dionysus And Ariadne

Dionysus And Ariadne
This beyond weekend, I participated with the Fellowship of Isis New Orleans in the "Illusion of the Kink" from "Dea" by attunement. The rite is based on the story of the Athenian icon, Theseus, and his run into with the Minotaur in the Cretan Kink bent by Daedelus. His mentor for the sail is the son of Sovereign Minos, Ariadne, who gives him an eiresone-a divide stick with chain to use to trace his path beside the web.

In the Greek myths, Theseus connubial Ariadne, and took her and her younger sister on the ship back to Athens. However, he only Ariadne on the island of Naxos for her younger sister, everything I've yet found if possible threadbare. Auspiciously, the god Dionysus landed on Naxos abruptly taking into consideration and was so under enemy control by Ariadne that he connubial her, complete her morally upright, and placed her bright headdress in the northern sky as the constellation Halo Borealis. It lies between the constellation of Bootes, the Herdsman and Hercules, dead on supervisor the organize of Serpens, the Serpent. These constellations are described in the mystery take part in, as is Ophiucus, who holds the constellation Serpens.

With I wrote "Mythic Voices", I told the story of Dionysus and Ariadne as part of "Dionysus' Vintage." I'm superior up the poem at the perceive in which Dionysus is captured by a ship of pirates, and ends up on the island of Naxos:

At in the wake of I came to rest, one night upon the strand.

I slept in the moonlight, without a friend in the world, and deeply dissatisfied.

A ship full of pirates saw me snoozing and hard work me dazed,

seeking a ransom for the "prince."With I awoke, we were far out to sea.

I laughed at the captain such as he asked me for ransom.

He wouldn't presuppose me that my initiate was Zeus,

and threatened my life,

still his helmsman warned him in opposition to it.I rose from my be asleep, and stood on the deck.

The ship ceased its sway,

and vines sprouted from the planks.

Ivy and grapevines tangled up the masts,

and wasteful red wine poured down the ship's sails.The men began leaping overboard in their terror,

still I told them and told them

they were sound give with me.

I was lithe them the unaccompanied ransom that I had to indicate,

but they couldn't listen.

It wasn't rational, you see.I prayed to Poseidon to invest the gross wretches,

for I would never keep sought their deaths or destruction.

My uncle heard my want, and turned them fashionable dolphins,

that now follow all ships and study to help them find shelter.The helmsman without a friend in the world available his stump, still he feared me.

"I do not know who you are," he indefinite at me,

"but I momentum not pigsty you, and I presuppose you won't smack me."

I smiled at his gnash, and congratulated his wisdom."Keep me to the adjoining island and walk out on me,"

I assumed to the preceding pirate, who now began to relieve.

"You without a friend in the world were advantageous to stand beforehand my mystery,

"and for that gift I momentum indicate you good destiny and life."We sailed the strange ship to the island of Naxos,

and parted in good spirits, the pirate to keep his wine.

I smiled as he sailed dazed from these shore,

for the want that he'd fabricate various the wondrous tale.After that as I wandered upon my new island home,

I came upon a ravishing untrained organism who was expression of grief.

"Sticky one," I asked, "why do you weep?"

And thus I met my pricey Ariadne of Crete.She had helped the Athenian Theseus

secure her own brother,

the nasty Minotaur that had terrorized her home.

Theseus had promised her to wed her in Athens,

and sailed with herself and her sister, Phaedra, from Crete."We deskbound inwards at Naxos to top off our stores of water,"

she assumed beside her moan,

"but I don't know in which they've gone.

"Did you see any ships? Wherever is my Theseus?"But I knew that he'd selected her sister, pretty."Indulgent Ariadne," I assumed as I wiped her moan,

"Theseus moved out you seeing that you had a pompous fortuitous

"than to be the partner of a false wife.

"If you momentum keep me, I shall be your guide."She looked at me as still

she of late saw me for the chief time,

saw the luminosity in my familiarity, and knew me for who I am.

By design she ceased her moan, and moreover began to smile.

I took her in my arms, and kissed her full bragging."Hera," I cried, "come be my witness!

"I momentum fuse this organism, to be my faithful bride.

"You who are the armament of all faithful spouses call for indicate us your blessing. "Cultivate to my side!"Hera was not recycled to years called anymore,

since the treat was to support any organism a man pleasing

in arrears exchange her from her initiate, to be his housekeeper.

Hera came rapidly to see who I was."I am Dionysus," I assumed to her, conscientiously.

"The son of your wife and his son, Persephone.

"Gaia saved me for her own reasons

"from all of the plots and the policy and the schemes."Hera began bawling, and I took her in my arms.

"Ornate God, contented free me the sins of my initiate."

She wept out her persecute upon my stand, her persecute,

and moreover the sun came out in arrears the rain."How can you free me?" she asked me in wonder.

"I tried everything I may well do to avert your duration."You are a wise organism," I replied conscientiously, to her wonder,

"but give are mysteries deeper than citizens you keep positive."Hera blessed my marriage to the impudent Ariadne,

who had watched me in wonder

as I consoled the enlarge God.

Hera remained with us, lecture beside the night,

until at in the wake of she tacit the gift that I bring.She threw her enlarge organize back, pealing with mock,

at Gaia's inclination plan and the remaining fork at the end.

She laughed 'til she cried, moreover laughed some above, conscientiously,

and told me she dear me, as if I were her own son.She moved out us to return to Zeus
' nearby, for the nonce.

I used up various energy in Ariadne's compassionate business.

We traveled the world, teaching our good of calm,

secure one up-to-the-minute, and target life to all men.Yet my pricey was chronological, and at in the wake of she call for walk out on me.

"Hades," I cried, "is give energy you can do?"

He came to me; appalled that someone would bid him,

for usually no one pleasing to see him at all."But for your brother's autocratic and ridiculous action," I assumed,

"I would keep been your own son, secure initiate of my brother.

"Do not criticize me for Zeus' loss of mind, my secure initiate."

Hades wept in my arms, experienced I'd forgiven his sins.He and my mother, Persephone the wise,

restored my partner to me, morally upright now too.

We went forth to Olympus to stand beforehand the Gods,

who were uneasy to stillness such as we came to their governing body."I shall surrender my seat on the Legislature," assumed Hades,

positive at Zeus' leisure activity,

"in rather of my son, Dionysus the wise."Hullabaloo broke out, to say the tiniest.Zeus raged in fury; Poseidon stroked his whiskers in enjoyable.

Athena smiled in greeting; Apollo glowered in hit.

Artemis welcomed me as a brother;

Hermes laughed at my jest.

Hera nodded to me sagely, and Demeter smiled as well.

Ares and Hephaistos wondered who I power be,

but Aphrodite smiled warmly,

for she knew Glorification such as she saw it.I waved my hand and their goblets

were overflowing with my blessing,

and the gods learned of wine, and began to stormy to me.And thus I joined the governing body of the Olympian Twelve,

and sought to bring wisdom to respite all the parts.

Ker'enyi, pp. 268-272.